Crossings at Valley View, located in Bloomington, Minnesota, is new construction composed of 50 multifamily rental units, all of which will be restricted to households with incomes at or below 50 percent of the area median income. Four of the units are specifically designated for households experiencing long-term homelessness.
Crossings at Valley View will be constructed using a variety of sustainable building methods and elements that benefit both the residents and the surrounding community. These include:
- Redevelopment of an urban site located close to public transit and within walking distance to nearby amenities
- Location in a pedestrian-friendly neighborhood with connections to the city trail system
- Low impact, drought tolerant landscaping
- Drip irrigation system
- Low water use and low flow appliances
- Energy Star appliances and motion-sensor lighting in all common areas
- Carpet squares used in all common areas and within residential units
- Walkable site plan and underground parking with bike storage area to encourage use of alternate modes of transportation
- Low- or no-VOC paints, sealants, adhesives, and finishes
- Implementation of USGBC waste management controls during construction
The development was constructed by Sherman and Associates with funds from Minnesota Green Communities. To learn more about the project, its green elements and how it was funded visit the project summary page for Crossings at Valley View [PDF]. Also, visit the Minnesota Green Communities website for more Minnesota-specific green building examples.
Click here for more information about the project and to see photos of the units and exteriors.